The manufacturing sector has used time standards effectively for a variety of purposes such as for control and monitoring for capacity planning and setting up standard operating procedures.
Standardized work is defined as work in which the sequence has been efficiently and safely organized and is repeatedly followed by team members.
The time standards so set can be used by the firm for the following purposes:
• To measure the efficiency of the individual processes, departments and the firm as a whole.
• To evaluate existing processes and any new process that may be suggested as replacement for the existing processes.
• To carry out capacity planning.
• To link performances to salaries.
• To meet Takt time efficiently.rnThis time study analysis is implemented on the excavator assembly line and fabrication shop processes at Beta Construction Equipment, Peenya, Bangalore. Thereby, enabling to relate production sequence to Takt time, to ensure smooth and effective flow of a balanced production line by eliminating unnecessary non value added activities and production bottlenecks.rnWe have conducted time study of the entire production process of the Excavator at the Beta Plant at Peenya, Bangalore. After the time study analysis was complete the following results were obtained. These are the implemented cycle times after eliminating the non value added activities:
Cycle time of Upper Frame Fabrication = 382 minutes
Cycle time of Lower frame Fabrication = 518.41 minutes
Cycle time of Assembly feeders = 1276.7 minutes
Cycle time of Assembly stations = 544 minutes