• Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry

Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry

Vol. 8, Issue 3 (2019)

A survey on rearing practices and production constraints of dairy cattle in district Bandipora of Kashmir valley

Author(s):

Danish Masood Mir, Abdul Majeed Ganai, Yasir Afzal Beigh, Gowhar Gull Sheikh, Dil Mohammad Makhdomi, Sheikh Bilal Ahmad and Hilal Musadiq Khan

Abstract:
The information in this study was acquired from 290 households of district Bandipora of Jammu and Kashmir as per standard questionnaire to ascertain dairy cattle rearing practices, productive performance and reproductive problems. It was observed that majority (51.23%) of the people had agriculture as the main source of income and 51.87% of the livestock owners preferred intensive animal rearing. 70.88% of cattle were exotic crossbred, while 29.12% were indigenous crossbred (Phenotypically), however very few number of true indigenous cattle were found. A small population (5.90%) of the cattle were given supplementation in the form of minerals or vitamins. Among surveyed dairy cattle, 78.64% animals were in milking stage and the rest (21.36%) of animals were in dry stage. The average age and body weight of 5.99 years and of 242.68 kg was observed, respectively. An average milk yield was 5.92 litre with the highest average yield (7.75 litre) in Hajin block and lowest (4.54) in Gurez block. The average concentrate and roughages allowance on dry matter basis was about 1.67 kg and 5.02 kg per animal, respectively. Overall, 48.13% of farmers allowed the cattle to graze and majority preferred stall feeding only. Among the reproductive problems, the least prevalent problem was stillbirth in 0.78% animals and highest prevalent problem was repeat breeding reported in 12.51% animals. It was observed that there is a great scope for improvement in cattle rearing practices in district with proper health, nutritional and rearing management which otherwise stands hampered due to lack of awareness and improper management.

Pages: 1214-1217  |  838 Views  277 Downloads


Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
How to cite this article:
Danish Masood Mir, Abdul Majeed Ganai, Yasir Afzal Beigh, Gowhar Gull Sheikh, Dil Mohammad Makhdomi, Sheikh Bilal Ahmad and Hilal Musadiq Khan. A survey on rearing practices and production constraints of dairy cattle in district Bandipora of Kashmir valley. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2019;8(3):1214-1217.

Important Publications Links
Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry Pharmacognosy

Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry

Call for book chapter