Many studies have been done on Garcinia kola
seeds. They have not indicated the importance of the coats on biological activities of these seeds. Thus, we studied the impact of the use of Garcinia kola
seeds with its teguments. We studied the comparative phytochemical and antibacterial activities of Garcinia kola
seeds with and without tegument. First, the qualitative analysis of ethanolic extract of peeled and unpeeled seeds revealed the presence of large families of molecules such as alkaloids, saponins, flavonoids and phenolic compounds consisting of catechic and gallic tannins in both extracts. Additional compounds namely anthocyanins and O-heterosides had been identified in unpeeled seeds extract. The difference noted during the quantitative analysis of the two extracts is not significant (p ˃
0.05). Then, antimicrobial tests had shown higher inhibition diameters with peeled seeds in 70% of the cases. The largest inhibition diameter was 35 mm obtained against Proteus vulgaris
. The minimum inhibitory concentrations of the two extracts were identical in 83% of the cases. These concentrations varied from 0.625 mg/mL to 5 mg/mL with the two extracts. The minimum bactericidal concentrations of the two extracts were also identical in 75% of the cases. They varied from 1.25 mg/mL to 20 mg/mL. In the remaining 25% of cases, unpeeled seeds extract has more beneficial bactericidal activity than peeled seeds extract. In light of these results, it appears that the skin of Garcinia kola
seeds qualitatively provides additional compounds. However, the presence of these additional compounds has no significant influence on the antimicrobial activity of seeds.
Amoussatou SAKIRIGUI, Guevara NONVIHO, Armelle Sabine Yelignan HOUNKPATIN and Kamirou CHABI SIKA. Effects of teguments on phytochemistry and antimicrobial activities of Garcinia kola seeds. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2020;9(5):21-26.